We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Ellsworth was established as a cowtown in 1867. Part of the Chisum Trial 1871 Ellsworth had the largest stockyards in Kansas. Its importance grew when in 1870 the Kansas Pacific Railway linked it to Abilene and Denver.
As Ellsworth grew it attracted small businessmen to the area who established saloons, brothels and various stores. It also became the source of a great deal of crime and lawlessness. Its sheriff, Chauncey B. Whitney was killed by Ben Thompson on 15th August, 1873.
Walking through Ellsworth history
ELLSWORTH — Graced by silver maples and sugar maples, the 1817 Tisdale House — built in the Federalist style of that time and now serving as the Ellsworth Public Library — is the starting point of a tour designed by the Garden Club and Historical Society to highlight some of the city’s historic buildings and notable trees along State Street. Created as a self-guided tour with printed instructions, the library is a third partner in the project, tying it into its Big Read October event.
The Historical Society’s Bill Fogle and Garden Club’s Monica Moeller keep the tour on the sidewalks and in the historic district, which travels up State Street to Knowlton Park and then crosses the street to retrace steps down to the Old Burial Ground.
The Old Hancock County Jail, built in 1885, housed the sheriff in front and inmates in the back. The sheriff’s wife had to cook the inmates’ meals (and presumably the sheriff’s, too) without any pay for her work, Moeller noted. The building is now home to the Historical Society.
The 1864 Peters House, now the Office of the District Attorney, is “a fine example of Greek Revival architecture,” and the northern red oak at its entrance is a good home for native insects, the guide states. The Melatiah Jordan Home next door at 80 State St., while Italianate rather than Greek Revivalist, originally sat at the Peters House site and was moved up the street. Former Ellsworth mayor and state representative Ruth S. Foster now lives there.Bill Fogle and Monica Moeller designed the walking tour, which begins at the library, to highlight buildings and trees in the historic State Street district.
“It’s not hard to find an historically interesting building [on State Street],” Fogle noted. “I would have liked to dig up homes not as prominent but had no access to files.”
The homes lining State Street up to Knowlton Park are smaller, humbler versions of the Greek Revival style and lead to St. Dunstan’s, an Episcopal church completed in 1957, saving members from meeting in a garage behind the Spruce Street post office, Moeller said. Here, branches of a Norway maple sweep down, as do the limbs an apple tree. But it is the demonstration garden planted around the side that excites Moeller. With native and other plants friendly to pollinators, the garden was planted by the Garden Club, church members and the Master Gardeners of the University of Maine Cooperative Extension in 2018.
Up at the entrance to Knowlton Park, river birches glint in the afternoon sun. The park was the site of a shoe factory in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, then Ellsworth Hardwood Co., and then the elementary school, before the park was built in 2011.
A quick cross of the street, a stop to peer up at the James Hopkins House and the former Bryant E. Moore School (now the Moore Community Center), and the tour continues past wild apple trees spilling fruit on the sidewalks to Donald Little Park, owned and cared for by the Garden Club. The tour then turns down School Street and circles behind the Department of Motor Vehicles to the Old Burial Ground, with its large black cherry tree and leaning gray birch. Then, walk past the Congregational Church and cross the street to City Hall, the final tour stop. Built following a 1933 fire that destroyed the former City Hall, it features Georgia Revival details unusual for Maine, the guide states.
With orange and red leaves gracing the trees and sidewalks along State Street on a warm late-October day, the tour took under an hour walking at a leisurely pace. Looking from the guide photos to the living trees, Moeller sighed. “In another couple of weeks, you won’t recognize them.”
Bayside (former post office), Ellsworth, Ellsworth Falls (formerly Falls Village), Joyville, Lakewood, Nicolin (Nicolin Siding), North Ellsworth (Hurds Corner), West Ellsworth, Wilson Corner, Winkumpaugh Corners
Adjacent Towns and Townships
Maine Historical Maps: Ellsworth
World War I Servicemen from Ellsworth
Maine Obituaries: Ellsworth American
Jean's Genealogy Page Index of deaths and marriages published in the Eastern Freeman (1853-54), Ellsworth Herald (1858-65), and Ellsworth American (1866-91)
Marriage Intentions at Ellsworth and Vicinity, 1800-1810
Women's Suffrage Petition, 1858
______, An American century : a history of the last 100 years from the pages of the Ellsworth American (Ellsworth, Me. : Ellsworth American, 1999)
______, Directory of Bar Harbor, Cranberry Isles, Ellsworth--Mount Desert, Southwest Harbor, Maine (Portland, Me. : Fred L. Tower Co., 1928- )
______, Manning's Bar Harbor, Ellsworth, Mount Desert, Southwest Harbor, Tremont and Trenton (Maine) directory (Springfield, Mass. : H.A. Manning Co., 1931)
Conners, Scott, Lawrence Haskell, and Gordon Donaldson, Ellsworth, Maine 1902-1912 : an original history (typescript, 1983)
Cunningham, Agnes H., History of Ellsworth, 1763 to 1910 ([S.l. : A. H. Cunningham, 1935)
Davis, Albert H., History of Ellsworth, Maine (Lewiston, Me.: Lewiston Journal Printshop, 1927)
Salisbury, Deale B., Ellsworth, crossroads of downeast Maine : a pictorial review (Virginia Beach, VA : Donning Company, c2005)
Ward, Mrs. Arthur, comp., Index of deaths and marriages as published in the Ellsworth herald and its successor the Ellsworth American: October 24, 1851 through December 29, 1865 (Brewer, Me.: Mrs. A. Ward, [1990?])
Ward, Mrs. Arthur, comp., Deaths and marriages as published in the Eastern freeman April 22, 1853 through July 28, 1854 (Brewer, Me.: Mrs. A. Ward, [1990?])
Ward, Mrs. Arthur, comp., Deaths and marriages as published in the Ellsworth American 1866-1891 (Brewer, Me.: Mrs. A. Ward, [1990?])
Ellsworth M Statler built his first hotel in 1907, “Hotel Statler” which later was changed to “Hotel Buffalo”. It was located at the corner of Washington and Swan Street, where the bison’s stadium currently stands. It was the first major hotel to have a private bath or shower and running water in every room. Statler calculated that, if he eliminated the large communal baths on each floor and efficiently designed a
plumbing structure to provide for a bath in each room (shower or bathtub, depending on the room rate), he would spend only 30%
more. And, if he filled the rooms at a higher rate than his competitors without private baths, he would make money. He was correct. The engineering was ground-breaking, instantly establishing Statler as the “father of the American Hotel Industry.”
The “New” Hotel Statler
In 1923 the new Hotel Statler was completed with the grand opening on May 19, 1923. The hotel was designed as English Renaissance Revival. It was to be 265 feet tall, 18 stories, employing 900 people and capable of serving 5,000 meals daily. Statler planned for the future domination of his hotel by building it with 1,100 rooms, more than all the other Buffalo hotels combined.
For most of last century, Buffalo’s Statler was the first name in hospitality between New York and Chicago. The crown jewel of Ellsworth Statler’s empire, the Statler building hosted Hollywood legends, world leaders and the events of Western New York’s finest families. Rooms were originally available at what seemed a very cheap price, leading many other hoteliers to predict the failure of the Buffalo hotel. The opening night price was as low as $1.50 for a guest room, leading to the slogan “A Room and a Bath for a Dollar and a Half”. Unfortunately, the hotel gradually converted to offices in 1948 due to the lack of people in the city to properly vacate the hotel. In 1954, the Hilton Hotel chain purchased the Statler Hotels
In 1984 the last of the hotel rooms were closed and the hotel was renamed the “Statler towers”. A renovation attempt into condos failed in 2000 and the building went into bankruptcy.
Mark D Croce acquired the building in 2011 renaming it “Statler City”. He renovated the lowers floors and the upper floors have plans to be refurbished and set to open in the future.
Owner Mark Croce mentioned, “It was on the brink of having to wear rain coats inside. There were inches of water in the ballrooms, the ceilings were shot, and sections of the floors were buckling. I don’t think that anyone quite understands the condition of the building at the time. Developers would walk in and walk away. We caught it in the nick of time. In another month or two, the mold would have taken hold. After that even I wouldn’t have taken it.”
Today, Statler’s historic backdrop meets modern class as Statler City brings back the grandeur of the building as Buffalo’s Premier Special Event Destination.
Legends of America
Ellsworth, Kansas Main Street by Kathy Weiser-Alexander.
Ellsworth, Kansas, once one of the many wicked cowtowns of the Sunflower State, is the county seat of Ellsworth County and a flourishing small town of about 3,000 people today.
Ellsworth, Kansas Main Street, by Alexander Gardner, 1867
Long before Ellsworth began to dominate the cattle market, it was already a turbulent place. The Smoky Hills region had long been home to the Cheyenne and other Indian tribes who roamed the area killing buffalo. However, when the Santa Fe and Smoky Hill Trails came through, they began to raid wagon trains and stagecoaches, prompting the building of nearby Fort Ellsworth.
As with other forts, a town soon sprang up nearby, some four miles to the northwest of the post, just beyond the military reserve. First surveyed in 1867, the town was called Ellsworth, though the fort changed its name to Fort Harker in the same year. With the railroad completed to Fort Harker in July of 1867, the new town quickly overflowed with frontiersmen of every kind, soon boasting more than 2,000 people.
Ellsworth, Kansas Depot by Alexander Gardner, 1867.
Within the first three months, the new town sported several houses, three grocery stores, a hardware store, dry goods, boots, and no doubt, a number of saloons.
But for its quick growth, it also suffered a number of near-fatal blows the first year. When the Smoky Hill River raged out of its banks, it left the town standing in nearly four feet of water. At about the same time, a cholera epidemic broke out at Fort Harker, soon spreading to Ellsworth. Many of the city’s earlier settlers fled in fear. Those that stayed soon moved the townsite to higher ground to the west, and the town began to prosper again.
With the nearby railroad extended its line to Ellsworth, the town quickly developed into a thriving cattle market, dominating other Kansas cowtowns from 1871 to 1875. With the flood of cowboys also came gamblers, outlaws, and the inevitable “unruly” women.
Drovers Cottage at Ellsworth, Kansas.
Ellsworth businessmen, anticipating the shift in the cattle trade from Abilene, moved the Drovers Cottage, once owned by Joseph McCoy, to Ellsworth in 1872. It could accommodate 175 guests and stable 50 carriages and 100 horses. Numerous other businesses also sprang up, profiting immensely from the cowboys.
Like other Kansas cowtowns, Ellsworth quickly gained a reputation as a wild and wooly place, becoming the scene of numerous killings following shootouts between drunken cowboys. In its early days, the area was besieged by a gang led by two men named Craig and Johnson. Making frequent robberies and bullying the townspeople, the citizens finally organized a vigilance committee and hanged the two near the Smoky Hill River.
Ellsworth, Kansas Livery Stables today by Kathy Weiser-Alexander.
In 1873, Ellsworth geared up for the largest drives of Texas Longhorns to date. Expecting trouble, they hired additional police officers to control the rowdy cowboys. They would be needed when a dispute arose on August 15, 1873, between Texas gambler, Ben Thompson and another player named John Sterling in Nick Lentz’s Saloon. When City Marshal, “Happy Jack” Morco sided with the other player against Texan Ben Thompson, a known gunfighter, Ben and his drunken brother Billy moved out into the street and called out to their opponents to meet them.
Instead of Morco, Ellsworth County Sheriff Chauncey Whitney stepped into the street with the Thompsons and soon convinced them to have a drink with him at Joe Brennan’s Saloon. However, before they could get there, Marshal Morco charged down the street, guns drawn. Thompson then wheeled and fired his rifle at Marco, narrowly missing him. Billy, on the other hand, stumbled and discharged his shotgun, mortally wounding Sheriff Whitney.
Ben and an army of Texans held off the town as Billy escaped. Ben was later arrested by Deputy Ed Hogue but was not tried and soon left Kansas to become the Austin, Texas City Marshal later. Billy Thompson avoided authorities until 1876 when he was returned to Ellsworth, stood trial, and was acquitted when the jury ruled that the shooting was an accident.
After the shooting, all hell broke loose in Ellsworth. City Marshal “Happy Jack” Morco was fired and replaced by Ed Crawford, who pistol-whipped a Texas cowboy named Cad Pierce to death two days later. Obviously not confident in their law officers and tired of the Texas cowboys, vigilantes began to roam the streets issuing “affidavits” to Texans to “get out of town or else.” “Happy Jack” Morco was gunned down in the streets by J. Charles Brown, who later become the City Marshal. Edward Crawford was also gunned down by a Texas cowboy, who was thought to have been Cad Pierce’s brother-in-law.
Modern-day cattle drive in Ellsworth, Kansas by Doug Stremel, Travel Kansas.
Ellsworth maintained its wicked reputation until the shipping pens were finally closed in 1875. In its peak year of 1873, approximately 220,000 head of longhorn cattle were driven through the town. During its turbulent heydays, some of the colorful Old West characters who found their way to Ellsworth include George Armstrong Custer, Buffalo Bill Cody, Wild Bill Hickok, and Ben and Billy Thompson. One newspaper said it best: “As we go to press, hell is still in session in Ellsworth.”
With the cattle trade gone, the town then settled down into a peaceful ranching and farming community, which continues to be its mainstay to this day. Ellsworth now has a population of almost 3,000, largely supported by the Kansas State Ellsworth Correctional Facility.
Ellsworth, Kansas Museum by Kathy Weiser-Alexander.
The area celebrates its rich history with a number of museums and attractions, including the Hodgden House Museum Complex on old South Main Street. Here, the spirit of Ellsworth’s Old West days continue as visitors are invited to tour the Hodgden House, built in 1873 by Perry Hodgden, one of the Ellsworth’s first settlers the Black Wolf school built in 1912, a stone livery built in 1887, two historic churches, a rare wooden Union Pacific Caboose, the Terra Cotta Union Pacific Depot built 1900, and the oldest building in Ellsworth, its 1873 Jail.
At 210 N. Douglas, the new National Drovers Hall of Fame Museum is currently being developed in the old Signature Insurance Building. Here, visitors will learn about the Great American cattle drives from interactive displays in the museum.
The Fort Harker Museum is located about five miles southeast of Ellsworth in Kanopolis, Kansas.
Sometimes you have to look back to see how far you’ve come. From our early days in butter and eggs, our transition into cheese-making, and our many expansions and innovations since, we’re proud of our history.
In fact, one could even say that pride is the most important ingredient in the products we make. We are 400+ patron dairy families strong, with each of our member farms committing 365 day a year to producing the highest quality milk. And then there’s the dedication of our cheesemakers, production and packaging team, putting out the best product possible. It’s that sense of pride and commitment that makes our cheeses taste so good and making us dairy proud for over 100 years.
Milton Dairy Company of St. Paul, MN erected a creamery in East Ellsworth, WI, on the Old Mill site near the railroad depot. It was a large central churning plant, equipped with the day’s most modern machinery, to make butter in small packages for their retail trade in St. Paul, MN.
Thirty farmers met at the Ellsworth Town Hall and organized the Ellsworth Butter and Egg Company. $500 was raised on the spot to help finance the new company.
The Ellsworth Butter and Cheese Company became a cooperative and bought out the Milton Dairy Company. It’s important to note that the term cooperative ha d a different meaning at that time – anyone could have stock in the company, including professions other than farming. Today, only farmers can hold stock in the company.
Henry O Melgaard was the first butter maker hired at the Ellsworth Creamery Company , working here from 1912 until sometime after 1940. He learned the trade from Jens Bjerking , who learned the trade at home in Norway before immigrating to America. Henry won several competitions throughout the state for “best butter”.
Pictured here is Henry and Hilda (Swenson) on their wedding day, May 21, 1913, in front of the Pierce County Courthouse in Ellsworth.
Because of the large amount of butter shipped by the Ellsworth Creamery Company to New York, six special refrigerated train cars were at the service of the Creamery. The lettering on the broadside of the cars read: ELLSWORTH CREAMERY COMPANY, ELLSWORTH, WISCONSIN, MANUFACTURERS OF PURE WISCONSIN PASTEURIZED BUTTER.
A full carload of butter from the Ellsworth Creamery was shipped every week to New York, making annual shipments of over a million pounds.
The Ellsworth Creamery Company became a Cooperative with new and updated by-laws.
The Ellsworth Cooperative Creamery bought back any of the original stock held by retired farmers, businesses and estates.
The Lawton Creamery was merged with the Ellsworth Cooperative Creamery, and in later years Maiden Rock, Pepin, and Prescott were added.
Each patron was issued one share of common stock or revolving fund certificate, or both, as evidence his equity in the total retains accruing during the preceding year.
A resolution was passed that the Maiden Rock, Pepin, and Lawton plants were no longer needed as an integral part of the operations of the Ellsworth Cooperative Creamery. These plants were later sold off at a time that it was advantageous for the company.
It was voted to investigate getting into the manufacturing of cheese.
A cheese factory was built at the Ellsworth Cooperative Creamery location.
After finding efficient equipment for the cheese factory, it was finally up and running producing cheddar cheese by the pound and cheese curds. Popularity of the new squeaky cheese was instantaneous and our all natural premium Cheddar Cheese Curds quickly became our specialty product. After one year a new warehouse needed to be built for cooling cheese.
The Creamery set up their own whey-drying plant after discovering there was a market for it for bakeries and manufacturers of ice cream, milk drinks, and animal feeds. The system was the first high-tech whey system in western Wisconsin. It was able to lower manufacturing costs and eliminate use of plastic liners and paper bags.
Anthony S. Earl, the governor of Wisconsin, declared Ellsworth the “Cheese Curd Capital of Wisconsin”.
Ellsworth Cooperative Creamery started distributing cheese curds for retail sale. Now consumers could purchase cheese curds conveniently from the dairy case of their local grocery store.
Ellsworth Cooperative Creamery became an international company through exports of dry whey powder to China.
In 2011, a new chapter was written in our history book when Comstock Creamery in Comstock, WI, joined the Ellsworth Creamery family. For cheese lovers, this was a marriage made in heaven. The acquisition brought with it expanded cheesemaking capabilities and today we produce 80 varieties of specialty cheeses under the Blaser’s, Antonella, Kammerude and Ellsworth Valley (rBST, rBGH-free) labels.
To address specific needs within our packaging process, Ellsworth Cooperative Creamery invested in our first ever automated packaging equipment.
With the growing popularity of our Ellsworth plant’s signature product, we thought it was time. Ellsworth Cooperative Creamery trademarked “Cheese Curd Capital” to formally protect the designation bestowed upon us in 1984.
In 2018, Wohlt Creamery, in New London, WI, joined our family. Wohlt Creamery represents a 60-year cheese-making tradition. Specializing in process cheese products, at Wohlt, quality and innovation are woven into the culture. Servicing the needs of foodservice, retail deli, and food manufacturers, customization is our specialty.
History of Ellsworth
The Village of Ellsworth was founded in 1881 by Erwin A. Dean and his nephew, August Davis. Lewis A. DeLine became its first postmaster on February 1, 1884. The new village and post office included the small settlements of Needmore and Ox Bow. Named by Mr. DeLine who had served under Colonel Ephraim Elmer Ellsworth the first Union officer killed in the Civil War. Incoporated as a village in 1938.
Information excerpts from Michigan Place Names by Walter Romig. LDH
Learn more about the history of Ellsworth on Banks Township’s Website and visit the site featuring the book Gleanings by Elsie Timmer
“A foreword to the reader: This history is dedicated to the former residents of Ellsworth, to those who lived here when this village was young, and from their keen memory we learned how our pioneers strived to conquer the forest and wilderness, to make a home, and eke out a livelihood for their families.”
[Main Street] Five years after the 1933 fire, a brick commercial block was erected by the City in order to foster economic recovery. Known as The Grand, the one-story block on upper Main Street contained five steel and glass storefronts and a recessed lobby that lead to a 730 seat auditorium. Dedicated initially to screening motion pictures, the interior of the theatre features Art Deco motifs executed in patterned painted wood and tile, and streamlined trim.
The overall exterior reflected current storefront design and materials. However, the marquee and 20 foot tall sculptural tower of stainless steel and Vitrolite glass marking the entrance to the theatre is an extraordinary example of Art Deco/Modern design. Its reputation as the town’s most important venue for cinema and performing arts, along with its design, makes it a significant historic property.*
The character of Ellsworth, Connecticut, in many ways reflects the same character it wore in the latter part of the eighteenth century when the Ellsworth Society was formed apart from the Sharon and Kent Townships. Rolling hills, open pastures, original structures, and thick woods are aspects of rural Ellsworth which existed then and have continued to the present.
Ellsworth Hill Orchard and Berry Farm is keeping the history of the farm going, and is proud to open the Orchard to those who would like to roam the strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, pumpkin and apple fields and view the beauty of the land that still stands the same way centuries later.
We offer a large variety of apples that will please the most diverse apple lover. Just a sample of what we offer are Honey Crisp, Gala, Macintosh, Gold Delicious, Macoun, Cortland, Northern Spy, Empire and Red Delicious. Besides the delicious apples, we also grow strawberries, cherries, raspberries, blueberries, plums, peaches, pears, figs, pumpkins and gourds - come and pick your own or purchase pre-picked. Additionally, you'll find a variety of vegetables at our farm stand. Our apple cider is pressed on site!
Ellsworth Hill Orchard and Berry Farm, home of the world's first
naturally pink pumpkin, harvested in October 2001!
Ellsworth - History
(Ellsworth News article from December of 1949)
Verd Miller is in the cafe business in Ellsworth again. Mr. and Mrs. Verle Reynolds have owned the cafe since early last spring. In July, they purchased another cafe in Des Moines, having a couple operate it. Finding it necessary to take charge of this business personally, they offered the local cafe to Miller, and the deal was closed by mail.
The Millers went to Phoenix, Arizona the middle of December to spend the winter. Verd returned here Saturday, coming up with Ivan Hill in the Ivan's car.
Miller took possession of the cafe Sunday. He owns the building in which it is located. However, he and Hill plan to return to Phoenix in a week or so. In charge of the cafe will be Clifford Grund and Grace Swenson. Grace has worked for Mr. Miller for a number of years, and had continued work at the 400 cafe in Jewell, which Miller formerly owned, until last week.
Behind the counter, left to right, are Mrs. Emil Olson, Grace Swenson, Virginia Ballentine, Agnes Miller, and Verd Miller. Others who worked in the cafe are Mrs. Arend Tjarks, Mrs. Henry Hulsebus, and Frances Olson.
Miller's Cafe had been in business for many years.
By clicking on the above Miller's Cafe ad, you will see a news article telling why
this advertisement was published January 1, 1925 in the Ellsworth News.
Ellsworth Main Street was paved in 1950.
Intermediate Girl Scouts Troop
A committee met at the home of Mrs. William Brinton Saturday afternoon to plan an intermediate Girl Scout Troop.
The Brownies were organized one year ago. A very successful year has been enjoyed by 25 girls. The girls meet every Monday after school at the Leion hall, with Mrs. Lester Weatherman, Mrs. Pierre Pounds and Mrs. William Brinton as leaders.
Now twenty-five girls are ready for their first birthday party, and fifteen are ready to "fly up" to an intermediate Girl Scout troop.
The firt step in organizing a new troop is securing two leaders.
Sedon, a council of five to assist these leaders.
Third, the wholehearted support of the parents, for whithout this, the organization cannot succeed.
If you have a girl of 7 years - through 9 - there's a place for her in the Brownies.
Nine years, through 13, intermediate Girl Scouts have lots to offer her.
It is hoped that all organizations interested in youth will give this new movement good support in any way possible. "The youth of today are the citizens of tomorrow."
Mothers with daughters interested in Girl Scout, and eligible for Brownies or Intermediates, are asked to please notify any of the committee: Mrs. William Brinton, Mrs. Willard Henderson, Mrs. Ronald Twedt, or Mrs. Carroll Arneson.
Mrs. Lester Weatherman, leader of the Brownies, will also be happy to answer any questions.
Girl Scouts Honored
at Mother-Daughter Banquet
on June 13
A mother-daughter banquet at Trinity Lutheran church honored the Ellsworth Girl Scouts Wednesday evening, June 13. The bandquet was sponsored and served by the Deb Hart Club.
Over 110 relatives and friends were present. The tables were attractively decorated with arrangements of spring flowers and Pastel favors.
Mrs. Williams Brinton was toastmaster. Mrs. C. J. Naglestad gave the blessing and the address of welcome was given by Mrs. Lester Iverson, with rsponse by Joan Weatherman.
The banquet featured the fly-up program of Brownies to the intermediate scout division. This number was directed by Mrs. Lester Weatherman and Mrs. Pierre Pounds, and included the presentation of pins to the new Brownies -- Virginia Strum, Bernice Schwiebert, Mary Beth Sather, Judy Voga and Jeraldine Tjelta. Second year pins were awarded Mary Champion, Carolyn Thompson, Patty Torgerson, Ann Minert, Cleta Lou Iverson, Mildred Hanson, Verona Evans and Nadine Eide.
In the "fly-up" ceremony each girl repeated the Girl Scout promise as her wings were pinned on her shoulder. These girls are Jean Weatherman, Minnie Torgerson, Carolyn Strum, Geneva Torgerson, Keo Minert, Ann Sogard, Cleo Torgerson, Janice Hill, Nancy Johnson, Kay Lynn Iverson, Wilma Heeren, Beth Voga and Karen Barkema.
The speaker of the evening was Mrs. R. R. Bateron of Eldora, member of the Girl Scout regional committees. She spoke on scouting from the standpoint of both the mother and the daughter.
Corsages were presented to several during the evening with Cleta Lou Iverson doing the honors. Mrs. Martha Hovda received a corsage for having the most daughters at the banquet, four Mrs. Haakon Torgerson for having the most daughters in scouting Mrs. Harold Sogard as the youngest grandmother present, Wilma Heeren as the scout selling the most cookies, and Mrs. George Hanson, press reprentative.
The program was closed y a solo, "Mother," by Lois Jean Sather and the benediction by Mrs. Naglestad.
The new girl scout year is now starting. Leaders are: Brownies, Mrs. Lars Tjelta, Mrs. Pierre Pounds and Mrs. Otto Daniher intermediates, Mrs. Weatherman, Mrs. Russell Voga and Mrs. Arthur Ahrens.
New Ellsworth Gym - Auditorium Dedication Is October 12
At a preliminary meeting composed by representatives for different organizations of the community, it was planned to dedicate the new gymnasium-auditorium on Friday, Oct. 12, 1951. A number of committees were appointed to work out the details. Another meeting is planned for Wednesday night, Sept, 19, following the P, T. A. program at the school building.
(Click to enlage this image.)
This 1951 photo shows Clarence R. Kuhl standing in Kuhl's Grocery.
In December 1863, Indians showed James Daley and R.V. Craig the location of silver in the Paradise Range, and the following year the Mammoth Mining District was organized. A townsite called Mammoth was laid out in February 1864, but it was soon renamed Weston. Nearby two other camps developed, known as Upper Weston/Summit City and Ellsworth. Before long, the three camps were consolidated to form one larger town, called Ellsworth.
The town grew slowly throuth the 1860s, though it did gain a post office in 1866. The boom finally came in 1870, when a new ten-stamp mill was placed into operation. The population quickly grew to over 200, and over thirty permanent buildings had been constructed. Camels hauled ore, and a stage and freight line made trips to and from Wadsworth.
By 1872, ore quality decreased and the mill only operated sporadically before closing in 1874. It reopened briefly in 1877 to process tailings and ore from the Alexander mine in Grantsville, but once they completed their own mill that November Ellsworth fell silent. The post office closed in 1884, and in April 1895 the mill was dismantled and moved to Union.
For the next several decades, Ellsworth saw only intermittent activity, but none lasted. In 1906, Oliver Boyd made a small strike to the east and a camp of thirty called Corrine was formed, but it disappeared by the end of the year. In 1910, the Return mine was reopened, followed by the reopening of the Mexican mine by the Bluebird Consolidated Mining Co. in 1916. By 1919, $57,000 was recovered and in the early 1920s the mill was moved from Liberty. It proved to be a failure, and the Company folded. The last activity began in 1924, when the New Return Mining Company operated a 12-stamp mill and cyanide plant until 1926. With the exception of minor, inconsistent work until 1944, Ellsworth was abandoned.